How to make a Kokedama Garden, by Netherlands based Designer, Aura Scaringi.
- a tiny plant; moss can’t stand direct sunlight, so choose a shadow-loving plant. I have used baby ferns, grass and another lovely plant with violet flowers, the name of which I can’t recall.
- a 7:3 ratio of peat soil and akedama, or bonsai soil
- dry sphagnum moss (you can buy a whole bag at most plant shops)
- cotton thread
- nice packing string like twine, hemp or sisal. Mine is from the wonderful London household shop Labour and Wait.
- gloves. Yes, it WILL get messy.
- a jar of water
- moss, which you can either buy in a large box or pick yourself in the woods
1. Remove as much soil as possible from your tiny plant so that its roots are exposed. Be very thorough but gentle!
2. Mix your peat and akedama soil together. You know the consistency is right when you are able to make a small ball from the earth without it breaking apart.
3. Now that your soil is mixed, start shaping it into a small, orange-sized ball. Use a little bit of water if needed. Think clay or pizza dough.
4. Make sure each ball has enough room to accommodate the roots of your plant.
5. Take a bunch of dry sphagnum moss and wrap it carefully around the roots, making a circular and compact shape. Then tie the cotton string around it several times. This will eventually dissolve.
6. Make a small hole in your soil ball, and gently press the plant inside it. Be careful to “close” the shape back to a sphere
7. Now it’s time for the fun part: take small sheets of moss (any kind of moss) and press them firmly into the soil. Don’t leave any open spaces. Wrap the twine string around the ball as if you are packing a present, and leave the sides as long as needed.
8. Choose a nice, shady place, install a hook and hang your wonderful planet of moss.
9. YOU’RE DONE!
To maintain, water the kokedama with a mist spray bottle once a day. Try to do this early in the morning, to mimic the ‘dew’ effect.
All images and instructional content belong to Aura Scaringi.
2 years ago / 188 notes
- plantsinmypants likes this
- melissaprentki likes this
- atentiche reblogged this from sanssleep
- lara50 reblogged this from sanssleep
- when-rabbits-fly likes this
- resurssivajaus reblogged this from liz-of-all-ladybirds
- joala likes this
- sunlitrains reblogged this from battlesuit
- tiasaurus-rex reblogged this from nightram
- dogekind likes this
- nightram reblogged this from battlesuit
- kaykonut likes this
- zombiemint likes this
- thenisfornothing likes this
- futrot likes this
- hatchet-ears likes this
- tepid-caterwaul reblogged this from battlesuit
- mommeh-amoeba likes this
- ottpop reblogged this from battlesuit
- sauce-master-satan reblogged this from battlesuit
- my-court-of-miracles likes this
- geekluvmustache likes this
- nervouscasual reblogged this from amitysneezing
- k1ck1n-r4d-gl4r3 likes this
- averyboneygirl reblogged this from battlesuit
- gilmobb reblogged this from battlesuit
- the-thresh-prince likes this
- mega-bat-fruit-bat reblogged this from battlesuit
- mega-bat-fruit-bat likes this
- bl1ndg1rl likes this
- catnipcomics likes this
- ghot likes this
- alivesouda reblogged this from battlesuit
- thewindything likes this
- allyshin reblogged this from lukemonsternoises
- thestrangerofwesteros likes this
- gamseenorita likes this
- lukemonsternoises reblogged this from battlesuit
- seastones likes this
- huttan likes this
- nightram likes this
- hushicho likes this
- foxglovenectar reblogged this from sugarfarts
- celticwolf95 likes this
- principia-discordia reblogged this from battlesuit
- josephfrancismazzelloiii likes this
- arboresqu likes this
- amayafire likes this
- jaggedlittlebill likes this